Thursday, February 18, 2010

Julius Caesar Acting Assessment


Act 2 Scene, Line 72-107

Context and Explanation

This scene is important because it depicts the moment when Julius Caesar changes his mind about going to the senate. This change is essential because it leads to murder by the conspirators. At first, Caesar had decided not to go to the senate because his wife, Calpurnia, had told him that her dream/nightmare about him signified that something terrible will happen to him. However when Caesar told him, Decius manages to convince Caesar that Calpurnia had made the wrong interpretation of her dream. He explained that the dream about blood pouring from Julius Caesar’s statue signified that Caesar was giving life and strength to the people of Rome. Caesar accepted Decius’s explanation and makes the major decision that changes his destiny. He decided to go to the senate unknowingly to meet the end of his life. If he had listened to his wife, perhaps Julius Caesar would have been saved from being murdered.

Lukas Dahl and I will be performing this scene. I will act as Decius and Lukas will be Julius Caesar.


Part selected

Act 2 Scene 2, Line 72-107


Caesar:

The cause of my will: I will not come;

That is enough to satisfy the Senate.

But for your private satisfaction,

Because I love you, I will let you know

Calpurnia here, my wife, stays me at home.

She dreamt tonight she saw a statue,

Which like a fountain with an hundred spouts

Did run pure blood; and many lusty Romans

Came smiling, and did bathe their hands in it.

And these does she apply for warnings and portents

And evils imminent; and on her knee

Hath begg’d that I will stay at home today.


Decius:

This dream is all amiss interpreted;

It was a vision fair and fortunate:

Your statue spouting blood in many pipes,

In which so many smiling Romans bath’d,

Signifies that from you great Rome shall suck Reviving blood, and that great men shall press

For tinctures, stains, relics and cognizance.

This by Calpurnia’s dream is signified.


Caesar:

And this way have you well expounded it.


Decius:

I have, when you have heard what I can say:

And know it now. The senate have concluded

To give this day a crown to mighty Caesar.

If you shall send them word you will not come,

Their minds may change. Besides, it were a mock

Apt to be render’s, for some one to say,

‘Break up the Senate till another time,

When Caesar’s wife shall meet with better dreams.’

If Caesar hide himself, shall they not whisper,

‘Lo, Caesar is afraid’?

Pardon me, Caesar; for my dear dear love

To your proceeding bids me tell you this,

And reason to my love is liable.


Caesar:

How foolish do your fears seem now, Calpurnia! I am ashamed I did yield to them. Give me my robe, for I will go.


No comments:

Post a Comment