Monday, November 23, 2009

The School of Athens



“The School of Athens” is one of the most famous painting by the Italian Renaissance artist Raphael. Through his art, Raphael captures the main character of society during this period. Renaissance was a time of great learning and acquiring knowledge. People were excited about expanding their mind and thoughts which led to great innovations and inventions in areas such as philosophy, literature, art, science, astronomy and architecture. This painting depicts many famous thinkers and philosophers of the Renaissance whose great works contributed to the society. The painting also captures how they learn through discussion and enquiry. The central figures in the middle are the great philosophers, Aristotle and Plato who are seen talking to each other. The other people are in gathered in groups who seen together in deep intellectual discussions, showing their ideas and writings. I feel that the painting reflects the beliefs and values of the Renaissance society it was created in.



If I were part of this painting “The School of Athens”, I would be Alexander the Great. The Macedonian King is seen in this painting standing on the left in between Socrates, Xenophon and Alcibiades. They appear to be listening to an explanation by Socrates. Alexander the Great was made King at a young age of nineteen years old. He was one of the greatest military geniuses and warrior in history. He conquered many countries from Egypt, Syria, Mesopotamia, the Persian Empire, Asia and India, and created the largest empire in ancient history. Alexander was trained in military skills from the best experts in his father’s army and he was taught science, medicine and philosophy by the great philosopher, Aristotle. He achieved what was thought impossible during his time. Alexander the Great had a high ambition to create a universal world under one leader. His bravery and courage, combined with intelligence, strong leadership skills and determination enabled him to create his empire. Like Alexander, my ambition is to graduate from the top University in the world, Harvard. I aspire to be a successful businessman with Warren Buffet and Bill Gates as my role models, and become a leader in the business world. It may seem like an impossible task today and I have many challenges ahead of me. I feel my character traits are similar to Alexander; I am determined, courageous and have high ambition. As Alexander can conquer and create the largest empire of his time, with the same determination, courage and hard work I will achieve my ambition. I know that I can climb every mountain I face.



No comments:

Post a Comment